Institute of Transplantation
This new, purpose-built facility brings together all aspects of transplantation under one roof. Designed with the ‘patient journey’ in mind from start to finish, seamless and high quality care is provided at all points of contact. This means that wherever possible patients are offered a ‘one stop shop’ approach so that they can access all the services they need in one location.
It houses an impressive range of ultramodern facilities and technology including:
- 4 ‘oversized’ high technology theatres allowing for more than one transplant operation to take place at any one time.
- 22 bedded intensive care and high dependency facility designed to the very best of international specifications.
- 30 bedded inpatient ward including 14 single en suite rooms.
- Outpatient facilities and a state-of-the-art screening and imaging suite.
- Research and development centre with associated lecture theatre and education facilities enabling live links to transplant surgery.
All intensive care and high dependency patients at the Freeman Hospital are now housed in the Institute, and heart and lung transplant patients are seen there in the Outpatient Suite.
Transplant TV is an online TV channel for medical professionals, patients, their families and carers. It hosts films on a range of topics to share scientific and medical information, and stories about transplantation. Based at the Freeman Hospital’s Institute of Transplantation, the channel is run in partnership between Newcastle Hospitals, Newcastle University and Ten Alps multimedia.