The eligibility criteria for the role of the Chair are identical to those of a Non-Executive Director.
To be eligible to become Non-Executive Director you must be a member of the Foundation Trust and resident in the following areas:
Newcastle upon Tyne
Northumberland, Tyne and Wear (excluding Newcastle)
County Durham, Tees Valley, Cumbria and beyond (All other Administrative Districts within the UK and Republic of Ireland)
To become a member of the Foundation Trust please see here.
A person may not be Non-Executive Director or a Director of the Trust if:
- (a) they have been adjudged bankrupt or his estate has been sequestrated and in either case he has not been discharged;
- (b) they have made a composition or arrangement with, or granted a trust deed for, their creditors and have not been discharged in respect of it;
- (c) they have within the preceding five years been convicted in the British Islands of any offence, and a sentence of imprisonment (whether suspended or not) for a period of three months or more (without the option of a fine) was imposed on them; 17
- (d) in the case of a Non Executive Director, they no longer satisfie paragraph 23.1 in the Trusts constitution.
- (e) they are people whose tenure of office as a Chairman or as a Member or Director of a health service body has been terminated on the grounds that his appointment is not in the interests of public service, for non attendance at meetings, or for non disclosure of a pecuniary interest;
- (f) they have had their name removed, by a direction under section 46 of the 1977 Act from any list prepared under Part II of that Act, and has not subsequently had their name included on such a list;
- (g) they have within the preceding two years been dismissed, otherwise than by reason of redundancy, from any paid employment with a health service body.
- (h) they have been disqualified under the Company Directors Disqualification Act 1986
- (i) they have not, upon appointment, delivered a statement agreeing to be bound by the Trust’s Code of Conduct for Directors.
Read the full constitution here.